Everything You Need to Know About Visiting Schilthorn, Switzerland
One of the highest points in the Bernese Alps in Switzerland, the Schilthorn is a summit lying right above Mürren. The village has cable car services that lead to the summit, where you can enjoy a beautiful view of mountains like Titlis, Jungfrau, Mont Blanc, Jura Mountains, and Eiger. Find out everything you need to know to plan your visit to the Schilthorn, a popular tourist attraction known for its ski races and a revolving restaurant called Piz Gloria.
Schilthorn | Visitor Information at a Glance
- What are the Schilthorn opening hours?
The cable car that takes you to the Schilthorn runs between 7:55 AM and 3:55 PM. The last cable car departs from Schithorn at 4:55 PM.
- What’s the best time to visit Schilthorn?
To enjoy a panoramic view of snow-covered peaks, you should plan your visit for the morning hours between 8 AM to 11 AM during winter.
- Where is the Schilthorn located?
3825 Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland [Find on Map]
- What are the different ways to get to Schilthorn?
Take a cable car from Stechelberg to reach the Schilthorn or hike up to the summit from Mürren. You can also take a train or drive up to Schilthorn from Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen.
Where is the Schilthorn Located?
Address: 3825 Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland [Find on Maps]
The Schilthorn is a summit located in the Bernese Alps of Switzerland. It lies at an elevation of 2,970 meters.
Closest Landmark: Mürren, Switzerland
How to Get to Schilthorn?
- Cable Car: You can take the cableway to reach the Schilthorn from Stechelberg. The cableway runs every 30 minutes.
- Train: Take a train from Interlaken Ost railway station to Lauterbrunnen. From here, you can easily reach Stechelberg, where you can board the cableway to the Schilthorn.
- Bus: Bus services to Stechlberg run from Lauterbrunnen. You can reach there in 20 minutes. Once you are at Stechlberg, you can take the cableway to the Schilthorn.
You can drive to Stechlberg from Interlaken, which will take you 38 minutes, or from Lauterbrunnen, which will take 31 minutes. From here, you have to take the cableway to reach the summit.
Nearby parking facilities
If you are in the mood to hike to the Schilthorn, arrive at Mürren. The village is about 13 km away from the Schilthorn, with an elevation of about 1,700 meters. The whole journey, including time spent at the summit and the journey back to the village, can be completed in under 7 hours.
Note: Hiking is not recommended during the winter, as the trail can get slippery.
Book Tickets to Schilthorn
Know Before You Go
Due to its location, the Schilthorn is covered with snow all year round.
The winter months between December to February are the coldest at the summit. Temperatures can range from -6°C to -13°C.
Between the spring months of May, April, and May, the temperature fluctuates between 0°C to -11°C.
June to August is the most pleasant at the Schilthorn, with the temperature ranging between 1°C to 6°C.
From September, the temperature starts dropping to 3°C, reaching -9°C by November.
- Gift shop: Skyline Top Shop sells tickets, souvenirs and other items on the Schilthorn.
- Toilets: You will find James Bond-themed toilets at the Schilthorn. Interestingly, the toilets at the summit are the winner of the International Toilet Tourism Award 2018.
- Restaurant: Enjoy a panoramic view of the Alps at Piz Gloria, a revolving restaurant at the Schilthorn.
- Restrooms: All the restrooms available at the Schilthorn are completely wheelchair accessible.
- Cableway: The cableway can be accessed by people with limited mobility.
- Restaurant: Piz Gloria is completely wheelchair accessible with special guidance from experienced tour guides.
- Entrance: Wheelchairs are accessible from all entrance points of the Schilthorn, with priority access for disabled persons.
- Wear warm clothes, as the temperature is extremely cold here. Keep your whole body covered.
- Smoking is only allowed at designated areas on the Schilthorn. Do not smoke in public.
- The last cableway departs at 4:55 PM from the Schilthorn. Complete your visit by then.
- Hiking from Mürren is not recommended for people with pre-existing medical conditions.
- Jungfrau: Another summit in the Alps, Jungfrau has one of the highest railway stations in the world.
- Oeschinen Lake: Frozen from December to May, you can ice-skate at this lake that offers picturesque views of the Alps.
- Eiger: Located at an elevation of 3,097 meters, the Eiger mountain range has been featured in many TV shows and movies.
- Lake Thun: This Alpine lake has a surface area of 48.3 km2 and was created in the last ice age.
- Aletsch Glacier: The Aletsch Glacier is on the UNESCO World Heritage Site list, and it offers scenic views of the surrounding Alps.
Frequently Asked Questions About Visiting Schilthorn
A. The Schilthorn is located in the Bernese Alps, lying above Mürren in Switzerland. The official address is 3825 Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland.
A. Yes, you can visit the Schilthorn and see surrounding mountain ranges like Titlis, Jungfrau, Mont Blanc, Jura Mountains, and Eiger.
A. The Schilthorn offers picturesque views of the Alps and has a revolving restaurant called Piz Gloria. As it is frozen throughout the year, you can participate in winter sports activities.
A. The cableway to Schilthorn costs 108 Swiss Francs from Stechelberg for a return journey. You will have to buy tickets for the cableway to visit the summit.
A. You can book tickets to Schilthorn online to save time and money. Book your tickets here.
A. An adult ticket for the cableway will cost 108 Swiss Franc. Children and disabled persons can get discounts on their tickets.
A. The best time to visit Schilthorn is during winter when snowing is at its peak. If you like hiking, you should go to the Schilthorn during summer.
A. The cableway runs from 7:55 AM to 3:55 PM. The last cableway back to Stechelberg departs at 4:55 PM from Schilthorn. You can visit the summit during this time.
A. Yes, you can visit the Schilthorn in groups for an unforgettable experience.
A. Yes, there are special discounts available for children on entry tickets to the cableway.
A. The cableway, the restaurant and the entrance to the Schilthorn are all wheelchair accessible.
A. Yes, you can dine at the only revolving restaurant at the Schilthorn called Piz Gloria.
A. You must spend a whole day at Schilthorn to experience all that it has to offer. Set aside 7 hours for your visit.
A. The Schilthorn is a must-visit attraction in Switzerland for its breathtaking views, dining at Piz Gloria, and different winter sports activities you can enjoy here.